Rene Magritte, a talented surrealist painter, makes us reflect with curiosity.
“Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling, a sort of conflict, one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present.” – Rene Magritte
To better understand what Rene is trying to say, notice deeply and reflect on the following points by writing what comes to mind.
- What appears odd about this painting?
- Where do you believe this painting takes place?
- What emotions does this painting reveal?
The apple is obviously more than just an apple.
- Why is the apple there?
- Why does it float?
- What does his face look like?
- Who is the man and what do you believe the painting is trying to say?
Talent: natural abilities or qualities.
Surrealism: an artistic and literary movement, dedicated to expressing the imagination as revealed in dreams, free of the conscious control of reason and convention.