In this Free Write activity, answer the following questions using ADJECTIVES that describe the personal qualities of a monster: blunt, brave, ragged, shaggy, scary, dreary, slob, etc.
- What does your madness monster look like?
- How does your monster behave?
- How would you describe where your monster lives?
- What does your monster like to eat and drink? Describe the food.
- What does your monster ‘do’ for a living? Explain.
Using your imagination and the Free Write questions as your guide, write a detailed paragraph creating your own monster character with the ideas collected.
A focused Free Write is a strategy intended to encourage ideas without concern for the conventional rules of writing. The goal is to make writing easier and more comfortable while speaking new ideas onto a page. Remember, free writing doesn’t mean to rush or create sloppy work on purpose. Follow these guidelines:
- Write nonstop for a set period of time (5–10 minutes). Let your ideas flow onto the paper.
- Ignore the urge to correct as you write, you can always come back and edit later.
- Write what you picture in your mind by using words that describe.
- Do not judge or censor what you are writing. Allow yourself to imagine.
Categories: The Writer's Nook